Base Location: Stornoway Battery Point
Salary: £28,831 – £35,194 + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
What is the Role?
As an Electrical Fitter, youll work on all maintenance aspects of our electricity switchgear and plant up to and including 33,000 Volts. This is a field-based role with responsibility for maintaining power systems plant including, switchgear, transformers, busbars, relay panels and other associated equipment. To do this, youll utilise your strong team working and communication skills to manage expectations with regards to arranging shutdowns with large businesses, regional councils, highway agencies amongst other stakeholders.
It can be a very demanding role and involve working outdoors in all weather conditions, however it offers a great grounding in utilities with many of our existing Senior Managers starting as Electrical Fitters. Training and development will be on offer to get you fully authorised up to 33,000 volts and you will also be required to participate in standby duties for fault restoration work when authorisations have been gained. Finally, as we work in a regulated business, youll hold a pivotal role in ensuring that our network complies with current and future regulatory rules (RIIOED2).
What do I need?
To ensure you get the most from your role, and our customers receive the highest standard of service, we ask that you have the following to join us;
– Demonstrate experience of working on an electrical distribution network, ideally dealing with LV and HV plant maintenance; candidates with similar mechanical skills and experience will be considered. Electrical Senior Authorised Person (SAP) authorised up to 11kV would be advantageous, however not essential as training and development will be provided. Applicants that already have Electrical Senior Authorised Person status at 11kV will be considered for the role at SSE Grade 5.
– Outstanding customer relationship skills, and a commitment to providing a high-level service with a high regard for safety, embedding yourself in our safety culture and adhering to guidelines in everything you do is a key priority.
– Enthusiasm and drive with a flexible approach to team working and an ability to adapt to changing business and project priorities.
– A full drivers licence is required, with a towing licence and NRSWA ticket being advantageous.
– This role can be demanding, and you’ll be required to respond quickly to emergency situations; we want to provide the best possible service to our customers in their time of need. This will involve working outdoors in all weather conditions with a requirement to undertake out of hours standby duties and short notice attendance for storm situations.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
– A proven track record in construction, repair and operation of electrical plant, equipment and apparatus.
– A high regard for safety, embedding yourself in our safety culture and adhering to guidelines in everything you do is a key priority, strong communication skills and an ability to convey technical aspects in a transferable manner, enthusiasm and drive with a flexible approach to work and an ability to adapt to changing business and project priorities.
– Electrical 18th edition BS7671 would be advantageous
– Being flexible to complete out of hours stand-by duties and attend short notice work in the event of severe weather.
– It is an essential requirement you have a full UK driving licence.
About our Business
SSEN Distribution powers 3.8 million homes and businesses in communities across central southern England and the north of Scotland. Our team of more than 3,500 people keep customers connected to a safe and reliable supply of electricity whilst developing the flexible networks that are vital to achieving net zero. By enabling a smarter, more resilient electricity network we’re ensuring our local communities continue to receive the power they need, both now and in the future. We are consistently investing and innovating to improve network resilience and future-proof power supplies for life’s changing demands, from rolling out large scale EV charging schemes to supporting small community generation projects.
What’s in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for ‘Inclusion & Diversity at SSE‘ to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I’ll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Robert on 01738 341105
Before commencing employment with SSE, you’ll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
To apply for this job please visit www.aplitrak.com.