Base Location: Reading, Havant or Perth
Salary: Up to £79,200 depending on skills and experience + car/cash allowance + annual bonus
Working Pattern: Permanent / Full Time / Flexible working patterns available
About the Department
SSE IT underpins the technology needs of all the different businesses that make up the SSE group. From emerging technologies to data and analytics to cyber security – we power SSE’s growth and enable it to generate value, while keeping it secure. As a trusted business partner that helps SSE lead in a low carbon world, we are proud of our service. Working for SSE IT is all about equipping SSE for now and the future.
What is the Role?
This is an exciting opportunity for a Lead Solution Architect to work with the Customer Solutions businesses in SSE. Customer Solutions covers Business Energy, serving over 500,000 business and public sector customers in GB, and SSE Airtricity supplying over 700,000 domestic and business customers in Ireland and Northern Ireland. It also provides an important route to market for our renewable generation.
Some significant changes are taking place in this part of SSE that will need your significant experience to deliver the right solutions to support the growth of the business. There are large change programmes underway for digital transformation, an overhaul of the IT estates, introduction of new billing systems, regulatory changes and the formation of a central data platform.
You’ll be responsible for the delivery of the high-level architectures, IT strategy and roadmaps of changes, that are required to respond to the changing needs of our business. You’ll establish strong relationships with stakeholders by inspiring confidence in the delivery of a mix of large programmes (up to £50M), an annual portfolio of business-focussed projects and initiatives to improve our internal IT capabilities. You’ll head up a small team of architects to deliver the necessary solutions in a structured and consistent way, following SSE’s project delivery and architecture frameworks. Architecture demand planning and resource forecasting and recruitment will be critical to providing a flexible architecture service.
A key part of the role will be to ensure we make progress on our key issues, while keeping solutions aligned to organisation and industry standards, relevant programme architectures and business requirements. The governance of solutions in SSE starts with Solution Integrity Groups for each business unit. You’ll take ownership of these groups to ensure they are working effectively and getting the right levels of engagement. Additionally, you will be a key contributor to SSE’s wider architecture governance and strategy.
What do I need?
You will be able to demonstrate significant previous experience in the following areas:
– Delivery of architecture solutions through their full lifecycle, while maintaining alignment with IT/industry standards and company strategy
– Leading an architecture team to ensure they deliver consistently to meet stakeholder expectations, including demand planning, recruitment and skills development
– Being recognised as a trusted adviser to executive level business stakeholders and obtaining their buy-in to IT strategies
– Developing roadmaps for applications and IT services and using them to shape the efficient delivery of a portfolio of projects
– Building and maintaining appropriate architecture models of complex IT estates, that add value to a wider IT service
– Running solution governance functions, that include a range of IT and business stakeholders, and demonstrating value through balancing short-term needs with longer term direction
– A track record of delivery using a recognised architecture framework (e.g. TOGAF) and within formal project delivery process
– Problem resolution and pragmatism when dealing with complex issues
– This role is not technical focussed, but you should have experience in a broad range of technologies, ideally including current digital technologies (Web / Mobile), Big Data and Analytics, Integration and Public Cloud (specifically Azure)
Previous experience of the UK energy industry would be an advantage.
The preferred location for the successful candidate is our Reading office, but there is also flexibility to be based from our other sites in Havant or Perth.
Please be aware if you are successful, you’ll be required to complete our pre-employment screening process before joining SSE.
We’re committed to ensuring we offer our people a great place to work, with competitive salary, contributory pension plan and benefits package. Why not watch our short employee benefits video to see what else is on offer?
For more information about this role, or to discuss any adjustments you require to submit your application please get in touch with email@example.com
We all have different skills here at SSE and that’s what makes us stand out. We all take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra ‘if it’s not safe, we don’t do it’.
SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
To apply for this job please visit www.ssejobs.co.uk.