Hydro: Sloy Power Station (Argyll and Bute)
Clunie Power Station (Pitlochry, Perth and Kinross)
Onshore Wind: Perth, Glasgow, Hadyard Hill Wind Farm, Edinburgh
Onshore Wind: Galway, Limerick (Newcastle West) or Meentycat (Donegal)
Salary: Circa £22,000/ €27,000 + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances & wellbeing. Salary upon finishing the trainee engineer programme is between £37,000 and £42,000 per annum.
Working Pattern: Full Time
What is the Role?
Our Trainee Engineer programme lasts for three years and combines academic study with work-based experience. Working within our Renewable business, you’ll have the opportunity to study towards an HND in Engineering Systems (Energy and Environmental Engineering) at Edinburgh College.
When not studying, you will be part of a team delivering work that develops our Renewables projects in onshore and hydro projects as well as ensuring the engineering integrity of our existing assets, all while developing your own technical skills and professional knowledge and networks.
By the time you reach the third year of the programme you’ll be given increased responsibility in managing jobs, including all technical aspects, safety management and the supervision of crafts people or contractors. On completion of your programme, you will be qualified to work as one of the selected disciplines, in the following locations for the specific traineeship
– Hydro Maintenance (Clunie, Foyers, Sloy, Awe)
– Hydro Programme Civils (Contin, Perth)
– Hydro Asset Systems (Perth)
– Hydro Control Room (Perth)
– Onshore Wind Mechanical (Perth, Glasgow or Edinburgh)
– Onshore Wind C&I (Perth, Glasgow or Edinburgh)
– Onshore Wind Control Room (Perth)
– Onshore Wind Systems Team (Perth)
– Onshore Wind Electrical (Galway, Limerick or Donegal)
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to be:
– Highly organised and self-driven with the ability to manage your time well.
– Flexible in your approach to work to maximise your chances of success, and you should be happy working alone or as part of a team.
– Comfortable to spend some time living away from home whilst attending college or on placements across SSE.
For entrance onto the educational aspect of our programme it’s important that you have, or expect to achieve the below qualifications prior to starting the programme in August 2024:
– 3 Scottish Highers at grade BCC or above including Maths, OR 2 A levels at grade CC or above including maths
– National 5 Physics or Engineering Science plus English at grade C or above, OR GCSE Physics and English at grade C or above, or equivalent
– Award of ILC with at least Grade H2/B1 at Higher Level in Maths and Physics or Engineering Science.
– We require English at grade B/Higher Merit in the Junior Certificate/Cycle (Higher Level) or grade O4/C2 at ILC Ordinary Level.
We are happy to accept applications from candidates with equivalent level engineering / technical qualifications such a HNC in an engineering related discipline.
What’s in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for ‘Inclusion & Diversity at SSE to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact us by email or you are very welcome to request a call if you would prefer to discuss on the phone.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you’ll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
The deadline to submit your application is Sunday, 10th March 2024.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you’ll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check. Please note that SSE are unable to sponsor any candidates for our apprentice, trainee engineer and summer placement opportunities as these roles would not meet the Home Office eligibility criteria for sponsorship.
To apply for this job please visit www.aplitrak.com.