Base location: Perth or Glasgow (may need to be based in our Perth or Glasgow office 1-2 days per week, when possible, with flexibility to work from home/another SSE office at other times)
Salary: £32,700 – £49,100 depending on skills and experience + annual bonus
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time, 37 hours per week | Flexible working options available
About the Department
Our SSE Finance function has a key part to play in fulfilling SSE’s obligations as a UK-listed company, providing expertise and services that can be shared across the SSE Group, and working in partnership with all businesses to provide services tailored to their specific needs. SSE operates in a highly regulated and increasingly competitive environment, and our role is to ensure that we gather, compile, analyse and recommend on the financial strategy for our businesses, identifying opportunities to drive efficiencies and create value for SSE now, and in the future.
What is the Role?
This role will be responsible for supporting the Financial aspects of the Electricity Transmission Capital Investment programme at an exciting time of growth within the industry. As a natural monopoly, our Transmission business is subject to regulatory oversight by the industry regulator, Ofgem. As such we have a ‘Regulatory Contract’ (often referred to as a Regulatory Licence) in which we are required to comply with a number of obligations which underpin our financial and business performance drivers.
We are in the final year of the current price control for Electricity Transmission (RIIO-T1) and are currently in the process of finalising our RIIO-T2 business plan which commences on 1 April 2021. We have a long-term plan to take the business forward as we look towards RIIO-T2 and close out RIIO-T1 to support the overall Group. We are on course to invest almost £3.5bn in our RIIO-T1 period and have submitted our plans for RIIO-T2 whereby we envisage our capital investment programme will be in the region of £1.5bn to £3.5bn to continue to support the transition to a net zero carbon energy world.
You’ll be required to support the Transmission capital programme working closely as part of a small team with the Investment Finance Managers and Head of Finance for Transmission Investment and key internal stakeholders across the Group. The need to understand how the business operates and the nature of our regulatory obligations under our RIIO price controls are a key aspect of this role as well as providing support and robust challenge to colleagues.
You will be required to work on your own initiative, understand complex issues, and convey this succinctly and clearly to inform decisions. This is a varied and challenging role with other responsibilities as follows:
– Providing insight and understanding the risks and opportunities in capital projects while ensuring compliance with our obligations and corporate governance.
– Coordinating, collating, reviewing project forecasts and delivering reports identifying the key financial drivers behind projects.
– Completing month end closedown activities and preparing and presenting management accounts.
– Representing finance during project review boards, working closely with project teams, and being a key member in the delivery of projects within budget and on time.
– Completing capital investment appraisals and reviewing business cases to aid in optimising the capital investment programme
– Continual improvement and evaluation of existing processes and practices.
What do I need?
– Appropriate Accounting qualification (ICAS, ICAEW, ACCA, CIMA or CIPFA);
– Have experience and knowledge of financial modelling for capital investments and options assessments.
– Experience of creating and delivering reports to finance and non-finance colleagues, conveying messages which can be complex
– Be pro-active and diligent in their approach and be willing to undertake challenging tasks sometimes beyond their ‘comfort zone’
– Be confident and articulate with the willingness to challenge and support colleagues and the business in a constructive and supportive manner
– Able to work to tight timescales, under pressure and deliver to a high standard
– Display a problem-solving approach
We’re committed to ensuring we offer our people a great place to work, with competitive salary, contributory pension plan and benefits package. Why not visit our benefits page to see what else is on offer?
All applications should be submitted online however to discuss any adjustments you may require to submit your application please get in touch. We’ll let you know the outcome of your application after the closing date.
We all have different skills here at SSE and that’s what makes us stand out. We all take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra ‘if it’s not safe, we don’t do it’.
SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
To apply for this job please visit www.aplitrak.com.